GearWERKZ.com is Recruiting for the Band of Gamers Podcast...Replacement
We are going to be launching into a new era here shortly. Come along inside to see if the relaunch is something you would like to be a part of.
The cast of Band of Gamers has been kicking some things around for the past couple of months and have arrived at some decisions. The current show podcast is an extension of what used to be the CAG Podcast. CAG stood for Casual Adult Gamers, an online gaming club of mostly adults with kids, jobs, and houses, all of which cordoned us all into limited windows where we could game. It was a place where adults could find a safe haven of other like-minded gamers to schedule multiplayer game sessions with and have assurances that they would have some game time without people screaming expletives and racial slurs into the mic, and with people who would, generally, show up and show up on time. We also talked games and the industry in the forums where you could feel confident of not encountering trolls and griefers.
The show, also often referred to as the CAGcast, was accused of "stealing" the name from this site at one point. We all thought it was unwarranted. Regardless, we went on hiatus and when the show came back, it was re-branded as Band of Gamers, although the site, Casual Adult Gamers, kept its name. And the CAG community was kind of our already installed listener-base.
Greylock3491 recently determined that we no longer had enough ongoing activity on CAG to warrant keeping the site and forums open, and so they have been discontinued. With that, the original purpose of the show, which was for the four of us to do something that would help our fellow busy adults keep up with gaming industry news and in a format that they would not mind listening to if there were children in the room, was kind of gone. Greylock himself has decided to invest his time in orher life pursuits and we wish him all the best in the world. My fellow cast members, DBQhams and Osiris Prime, and I have continued to do the show, quite honestly, because we do not have local friends who dig as deep into gaming news and philosophy as we do. And because it looks like some small number of people enjoy listening to those conversations still.
So we're going to be re-launching under a new brand here within the next few weeks. Specifically the week after E3. And we are looking to get at least one, preferably two, additional cast members into the rotation. This will increase the show's diversity of thought on games, and provide us some bench strength so that even if a person can't make it to a recording session, we can still have a four-person show. This will also be the beginning of seeing if we can grow a very small network of other podcasts that will cover other topics in geekdom. The new show will retain its charter of being a non-explicit language or clean lyrics podcast in order to maximize our distribution and listenership. Applying candidates should meet the following requirements:
- Be knowledgeable about the gaming industry and at least two current gaming platforms; either XBox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, or PC as your primary, anything else, including mobile or NIntendo 3DS or PlayStation Vita is fine for your secondary. Candidates that are at least a little knowledgeable about all four of the primaries, though, would be preferred.
- Be courteous, especially of other cast members' time. We all have other gigs and we all sometimes have to cancel at the last minute due to work, family, or a house emergency. We just want you to let us know, even if it is after-the-fact. We're looking for cast members that are consistently engaged and maintain comms. People who commit up front but then drift off without communicating are not desired.
- Be courteous on the show. We try not to talk over each other. We never declare another cast members' opinion is wrong, we just say that we disagree. There's just flat out no chauvinism or prejudice's allowed whatsoever
- Meet the minimal technical threshold. You're going to need a decent webcam, at least 720p resolution, and a decent internet connection. You are going to need a mic and headphones. And you are going to need a reasonably uncluttered and uninterrupted space to broadcast from. And you are going to need to be willing to be on-camera. Feel free to protect your identity by using whatever handle you want. We use our gamertags as much as possible
- Availability. We record the main show on Monday night's at 8:15PM Eastern / 7:15PM Central time. We now also do a separate newscast at 10 PM Eastern / 9PM Central time on Thursday nights. We try to do mic checks and pre-flight 15 minutes before the show starts. You do not have to be on both shows all the time. You can rotate or just do one show. Ultimately I would not mind the casts being helmed by two different sets of people so that everyone got enough rest in-between
- You must be 18 years or older
That's most of it. So here's how to apply:
- Contact me on Twitter @agasiclesstamas using a mention or via FaceBook under my name. You'll need to point me to something you have written and published online, or publicly viewable or streamable video or audio content, any of which you must be able to corroborate or verify as being your created content.
- I will also review the content of your social media persona that you contact me from to make sure that you sync up with the ethos of the current crew.
- If you have never created content online, I'll work something else out with you for the vetting. So don't let that stop you
OK, that's it. I hope to hear from you guys soon, because we're ready to get this thing started. Until then, good hunting and stay safe out there.