This Week's Streaming Kit - Week of 23 April 2018 Edition
Every week I designate two studio kits; one for podcasts and the other for livestreams and game captures. I talk about that tech a lot in my gaming videos (which are posted to the YouTube channel, Rounding Off Infinity), but I’ve been meaning for a while to also write about them. This series will largely be about different mixes of gear that I use each week. As new studio gear comes through the ‘WERKz, I’ll be sure to add it to the mix in the written posts. If you are a burgeoning streamer and wonder about all the options that are available beyond just software options, checking in here will yield you some ideas, I’ll wager.
This week’s kit consists of the following:
- Game Capture: BlackMagic Design Web Presenter
- The Web Presenter is a great piece of kit that was really built for a production studio. But an HMDI passthrough is a passthrough I always say. The Web Presenter can passthrough anything up to and including 4K, but over USB it only passes a 720p signal that can be used for the outgoing stream or capture. Mine also has a Teranex front panel which allows me to see the current capture in real time.
- WebCam: Razer Kiyo
- I’ve been meaning to buy a ring-light for a while now. My problem is that I worry about finding one that will c-mount with every camera that I use. The Kiyo has a ring-light built in, so I decided to test this out and see just how much it can do with lighting on its own. I have not placed this under test yet, so stay tuned!
- VoiceOver Microphone: Black lapel mic that came with my Hauppauge HD PVR 60
- Lapel mics do a great job of licking up and shaping your audio. Provided you remember to not get tangled up in the cord, it also keeps stuff off your desk, giving you more room to reach your gaming peripherals when PC gaming
- Headphones: Sennheiser Urbanites
- The Urbanites were my first pricey pair of headphones I’d ever bought. They are one of my favorite pairs ever, although I am not super crazy about the interlock on the 3.5mm input connector to the headphone base